Attorney John Spillane possesses more than 25 years of experience litigating wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury matters in jurisdictions across the United States. With a background in cases based upon exposure to dangerous and harmful chemicals and minerals, John applies a foundation of thorough investigation and research to every case he handles. John’s knowledge of scientific principles and his expertise in the courtroom have been recognized by his peers and independent publications nationwide. John has been recognized as a top litigator by the National Trial Lawyers as well as several independent publications, including Texas Monthly’s Super Lawyers list. He is also AV Preeminent rated by Martindale Hubbell based on review of his legal peers and the judiciary.
John believes a lawyer should represent his clients not only in the courtroom, but at the legislative level as well, and he has been actively involved in the American Association for Justice, as well as several state trial lawyer associations in jurisdictions across the nation. He was lead counsel in trial court proceedings in Georgia that held a state statute unconstitutional, a decision ultimately upheld by the Georgia Supreme Court. John has further worked to protect the rights of his clients by consulting with legislators or appearing before legislative committees in four different states, as well as on a national level.
John graduated from Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas, in 1988, where he represented the school as a member of its varsity basketball team for four years. During his tenure, John was named Academic All-American, team captain, and team MVP. He later received his J.D. from Southern Methodist University in 1993. He currently resides in Dallas with his wife, Stephanie, and son, Jack.
“I make other people’s problems my own, so they don’t have to deal with them. When your life has changed and you need help, our team can become your family. We will treat you like family because you’ve become family. We can be your help and we can be your team. This time and every time.”
– John Spillane
- Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas
- Trinity University, San Antonio, Texas
- Bachelors of Science (Finance and Human Resources Management) – 1988
- Start Bar of Texas, 1993
- Pennsylvania, 2010 (Inactive)
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
Professional Associations and Memberships and Orgnaizations
Honors and Awards
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Civil Plaintiff, 2017-2022
- AV- Rated Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell
- The Marquis Who’s Who in America, 2019-2020
- 10 Best Attorneys, American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys, 2018-2019
- Top 10 Personal Injury Attorney, Attorney and Practice Magazine, 2018
- Top Rated Lawyer by Top Lawyers of Texas, 2013
- Super Lawyer, Texas Monthly, 2004 – 2006
Published Decisions and Professional Presentations
- General Motors Corp. et al. v. Grenier, –A.2d –, 2009 WL 2581722, Del. Supr., August 24, 2009
- In Re Asbestos Litigation, 929 A.2d 373 (Del. Super. 2006)
- In Re Garlock Sealing Technologies, LLC and Georgia-Pacific Corp., 2006 WL 2669365 (Tex. App.—Hous. (14th Dist.))
- In Re Daimler Chrysler Corp., 2005 WL 1565257 (Tex. App.—Hous. (14th Dist.))
- Daimler Chrysler Corp. v. Ferrante, — S.E.2d –, 2006 WL 3345000 (Ga. 2006)
- Norfolk Southern Ry. Co. v. Bailey, 92 S.W.3d 577 (Tex. App. (3rd Dist.)) 2002
- “Scientific Evidence: Daubert Issues Related to Personal Injury and Property Damage Claims.” HB Shale Gas Drilling Operations Conference, New York, New York, 2012.
- “Emerging and Specialized Claims: Overhead Cranes.” Perrin National Asbestos Litigation Conference. San Francisco, California, 2012.
- Reporting Requirements for Medicare and Beyond: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.” Harris Martin Louisiana Asbestos Litigation Conference. New Orleans, Louisiana, 2011.
- “Revoking The Premises Owner’s ‘Get Out Of Jail Free’ Card.” Perrin Asbestos Litigation Conference. San Francisco, California, 2010.
- “The Out-of-State Plaintiff. Why Delaware?” Harris Martin Delaware Asbestos Litigation Conference. Wilmington, Delaware, 2007.
- “Litigating Your Case at the Pretrial Conference.” Mealey’s Asbestos Conference. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2006.
- “Current Issues in the Litigation Of Non-Standard Defendants.” Mealey’s Asbestos Conference. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2005.
- “Ethical Considerations in Mass Tort Settlements.” Mealey’s Asbestos Litigation Conference. Chicago, Illinois, 2004.